Monday, January 26, 2009

Escaping Houston

So tomorrow I escape the mini mall expanse of Houston, Texas and fly east for the suburbs of Tampa Bay. I thought I'd briefly give the account of one more redeeming feature of Houston. Friday, the day before the seizing, I took the bus downtown and walked south to Montrose, the old part of downtown and current gay district. Well it was definitely gay. My first indication I'd crossed the gay-straight barrier was when some dude in super tight clothing drove by me in an SUV. This would have been nothing abnormal but the fact that he was pumping his arm in the air to the tune of some atrocious 1980's song by a band not unlike Flock of Seagulls. I had lunch at a little cafe that would have been heavily vegetarian in any other gay neighborhood in the states but in Houston every dish had meat but the Bocca Burger. Every male working in the joint did speak with a lisp and I got the feeling they were none too happy with me for not having one.

The find of the afternoon however was a junk store that filled what had once been an expansive auto garage. I didn't get how many bay doors there was but I would say around 6 and inside every square inch of space was filled with what was presumable for sale, though why shoe boxes full of someone's family photos would be for sale I really can't say. There was no room for existing in the shop except for an incredibly narrow path through the junk that did not allow space for two teenage anorexics to pass. There was an incredible assortment of items and I feel like I should list my favorites: an exercise bike from the turn of the last century complete with wooden pedals and a crank to adjust the tension, a neatly organize row of broken tools including hammers with broken handles, knives with broken blades, etc, nearby and also oddly organized and hanging were bungy cords in perfect shape and not the cheap elastic ones. We're talking the high quality rubber bungy's, and to top it off was a greatest hits CD of Robert Earl Keen. The CD I decided was best left there for some other soul to light happily upon.

After this I then met Alec and another friend at a bar with lots of outdoor seating where I filled my belly full of beer in anticipation of the following days adventures. Well, now, I am off to Florida to see what fine adventures I can get myself into there. By God, I just hope a friendly is there to see me seize this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment